Just a stray query: why does the word ‘Dandy’ refer to some guy with an amazing sense of fashion (no, NOT gay!) while the phrase ‘Dandybrush’ refers to a brush (obviously!), but not a brush for a dandy, but for a horse!! It’s certainly strange how I can still find certain aspects of this stupid language ‘funny’… frankly speaking, I’m kinda tired of this language altogether! I guess the term “The grass is greener on the other side” applies perfectly for me since the mystical phrases and pronunciations of other tongues, like French (you know one can speak better French after frying one’s tongue with a hot cup of coffee? Or is it the way we ‘foreigners’ interpret the language? Coz they don’t sound sooo airy in their movies!) or Spanish (I think one can be good at Spanglish if you practice saying the ‘s’ in ‘fresher’ like the ‘s’ in ‘supper’) or Korean, maybe (you know, you need to end some sentences in a weird tune, almost! It’s the style!) are sounding far more appealing to my ears nowadays! A friend of mine is doing her graduation in Chinese, and boy do I feel jealous! I mean, okay, I’m not much of a Communist, but there’s no harm in learning the language, is it? And I’m actually writing this after quitting French halfway through the first year… shame on me!!
*
Certain things have got certain smells of their own… like I was sitting in a bus today, and I got a strange scent from somewhere… and it immediately reminded me of my 2nd school, where I repeated (Yess!! Dirty li’l secret… I repeated Nursery! I was changing schools and the better school was adamant, though I wasn’t at all underprepared for Kindergarten) Nursery and studied till Std. II (It was St. Xavier’s Institution in Sodepur) The memories might’ve also been triggered by a sight of two four or five year old kids whom I could spot from the bus window flocking for candy (I guess) at a store! Anyways, the memories they brought back weren’t too pleasant, as I kinda didn’t like going to the school! Schools were never too much fun for me back then… I had a few good friends whose names I still remember (Abhinava, Rajdeep, Anirban… wonder where they are all now) but apart from that… I dunno… I even remember a few occasions when I went on a tear-jerking spree in the classroom! I guess those were the years when my parents enjoyed school more than me… since they made a helluva lot of friends and some of them even pop in now, all the way from Sodepur. Well, it’s just that a random scent has the capacity to bring out so many memories from down under… its almost unbelievable!
*
Two hours in the college today were wasted (since a teacher, our Head of Department, didn’t show up! She’s usually very punctual!), and immensely enjoyed, playing Dumb Charade! Yeah, well, it started out between two gangs of girls and the ‘contest’ moved on to dirtier tracks as ‘yours truly’ and a two other ‘male intruders’ decided to rob the event of its exclusive feminine presence… by guessing (merit!) the movie names before any of the girls could, and then declaring the names aloud like ‘spoiled spoilsports!’ So ultimately, we HAD to get in the game coz we weren’t gonna just sit and watch the girls playing a supposed ‘VIIth standard’ game! (If you still enjoy something, how come you ‘grow out’ of it??) Well, we beat the rest comfortably, since I’m pretty good at guessing and the others weren’t too far behind (no kidding, I’m good at guessing!)… and I guess it was a first time in days where I actually enjoyed with people, most of whom (leaving two or three, maybe) I just know the faces and names of (in some cases, not even names!)! Yeah, well, in a class of 120+, even with so many cut-offs from Part 1, there are just too many people for one to personally be acquainted with!
Signing Off,
-Jagannath (Jesse)
No comments:
Post a Comment