7) Bongs: And I don't mean the 'group' of people classified as Bong, or that thing they use to get high (I wouldn't hate that, really); the thing I dislike is how some people refer to Bengalis in general as 'Bongs'. It's stupid, lame and was probably coined by someone who tried to imply that all Bengalis survive on weed (Not that I have anything against weed). And then Anjan Dutt went ahead and made a goddamn movie with that wretched word in the title. However, in all fairness, the movie didn't suck as much as its title! Bottomline: Kill me before you call me a Bong!
6) Uniforms: The worst part of school life, apart from 'school' itself, was the uniform! And it's not just a school uniform! Anything that someone tries to 'make' me wear by absolutely feudal decrees, I would hate! Incidentally, I guess this drove me away from quite a few professions that I could've otherwise considered: The police force or the Army, working in a hospital, playing for that football/cricket team (I wouldn't mind a few hours, would I?), being a lawyer (Now that's one uniform I can't say 'no' to!).. oh ya, also... being in prison.. that would really irritate the crap out of me!
5) Watching a movie with someone who talks a lot: I really don't want to hear about 'that stupid dress' or 'that great video game' when I'm trying to grasp every second of a movie like 'Inception'. Even when I'm watching some crap like 'Dostana' or 'Wanted', I'd prefer to watch the movie carefully so I can curse it later with the full conviction that they are indeed the two worst movies ever made in the history of cinema! This is 'THE' reason why I like very 'selected company' when I go to the movies, and prefer to go alone otherwise.
4) Critics: No, not movie critics. Although I detest many examples from that profession too. But here, I mean critics in general. Like people who always see the negative things about a particular thing first! "You know, this ain't right. You really should've done it THAT way." "I really don't like that guy/girl. He/She shouldn't speak this way..." What happened to seeing the positives in situations/people first? Isn't that what they teach us in schools? In hindsight, they don't! There you go: Another reason why I hate schools!
3) Know-It-Alls: Yes, I consider myself to be "know-quite-a-bit-but-not-all". And I hate those know-it-alls whose sole purpose in life seems to be to assert their opinions/flawed knowledge on us 'letter mortals'. They'll brag and dabble in electronics when they don't know an aperture from a shutter. They'll claim to be soccer gurus when they can't say for sure what an Off-side is. They have opinions about everything and are sure that whatever stupid thing they do or are about to do is the wisest after Ben Franklin flew that kite in the storm! Seriously, how can anyone NOT be irritated by someone like that?
2) Religious fanatics: Well, I'm not an atheist! But religious fanatics do irritate the crap out of me! Killing for religion and all that serious stuff aside (Coz every sane person should detest those acts), I hate it how, at local Pujas and stuff, some people are not allowed to do certain things (say, cooking the 'bhog', or cutting up the fruits) because they aren't Brahmins or don't have a 'Dikkha' (I'm not exactly sure what that is... Profitable business for the people who 'give' these things, I suppose... the fake 'sadhu's... that's another category I dislike). It's irritating, the way these "have-s" snigger at the "have-nots" and try to keep them out of the proceedings. Plain irritating!
1) Nationalism: Yes, I don't dig nationalism! I mean, ya, I'm glad Rabindranath had the same mother tongue that I do, and "WE" have a glorious history behind us when our ancestors fought so WE could speak our mind... But why should Nationalism mean that I need to detest every other country, and speak ill of Pakistan/China/Bangladesh/US (if you're a Marxist) and blindly support everything that our 'Country' decides (Huh... when did they ask my opinion?) and repeat meaningless things like, 'Kashmir belongs to us' when I've never been to Kashmir, and haven't ever talked to ANYONE who lives there, and don't have a clue what THEY want! If Nationalism means I must support every decision/war the country indulges in, ignore every atrocity it commits... I'm glad that Nationalism irritates the crap out of me!
Lastly, I don't much like these kind of lists! They might not irritate the crap out of me but they do piss me off, even so slightly! I make it a point to ignore these kind of things... so if you did read this: you're welcome to feel supremely irritated. Just don't add my name to your own 'Things that irritate me' list!
No comments:
Post a Comment