Wednesday, July 4, 2007

The Summer Blockbusters

It’s the summer (So much sweat, pocket money gone on deodorants, cold-drinks, ice-creams… I’m not a big fan of Summer… and I’m not talking about the character of Rachel Bilson in The OC). As you might have guessed by now from the words enclosed in the brackets, I don’t particularly get what the fuss over summer is all about. First of all, I live in India, where summer isn’t the time you wanna be here in. It’s sweltering, and I mean literally hot! (Not quoting Paris Hilton, of course). But perhaps the greatest attraction of summer (in this part of the world) is the food. Summer is a time where you get to enjoy a whole lot from fruits from Mango… Jackfruit… Watermelon… that’s pretty much I can remember right now, actually!

The only thing about summer I wait for are the movies. Yesss! We all know that’s the time the major productions make their way into the theatres. This year was no different, actually, and a host of big movies (mostly expensive and sure-grosser sequels) dragged us to the theatres.

First in line was Spiderman 3, and it sure lived up to its expectations. With a powerful performance from the gang of Tobey, Kirsten, James and Rosemary, Spidey 3 rocked! I was beginning to enjoy the summer when the back to back releases sweated me out (and god knew everyone was sweating enough these days). The back to back releases of Ocean’s Thirteen, Shrek The Third and the much awaited penultimate edition of Pirates of the Caribbean (At World’s End) choked the life out of movie-goers. Someone like me who has to depend on their parents for paying of tickets suffers the worst… but still, I managed to catch these movies. And I gotta say, those were some bucks well spent. Ocean’s Thirteen was sleek, in-your-face and star-studded as it always promised to be. Shrek was an absolute delight, with JT thrown in the equation. And my personal first choice Pirates rocked, but left me dissatisfied with Gore Verbinski. Not that the film was made badly. It couldn’t have been handled better. But I didn’t like the plot as a whole. As was the case with the first two movies (in the first, Jack’s revelation that he had the curse himself, and in the second, Barbosa’s return from the dead), the elements of surprises were in place, and they were surprising too. But the part which really ticked me off was the fate of Elizabeth and William (a.k.a. Keira and Orlando- I sort of know what their fate is going to be, even though I can’t claim I’m a soothsayer. They’re gonna have fantastic careers in the movie industry. Anyone beg to differ?). Maybe the ending suited the Pirate-style of things, as this movie has undoubtedly drifted away from the fairy tale magic the 1st film generated. It’s much darker, much like the forthcoming Harry Potter film.

I still haven’t seen the Fantastic Four sequel, or Die Hard 4.0. I’ll catch them, of course. But another film I’m really looking forward to is the Potter installment #5. Sure it won’t have much to surprise anyone (For those who’ve read the book. Those who haven’t… SIRIUS BLACK DIES… mail me a thanks, now you don’t have to read the book, do you?). But seeing Emma Watson on screen is always a treat. Oh, and Daniel, Rupert, Alan, Maggie, Gary too. Besides, the magic on screen will always act like the “Accio” charm on Potter fans, won’t it? Especially as this movie releases about a week before the seventh book does. The highlight, though, is that the movie releases on my birthday (I’m turning 19). So wish me happy birthday and have a wonderful time wasting your precious eyeballs.

Signing Off,
Jagannath (Jesse)

No comments: