Wednesday, October 3, 2007

INTELLECTUALS: THE SAGA OF ANTLAMO AND MY INTENSE STRUGGLE TO NOT BECOME ONE

Firstly, how on earth I got the idea that I might be on my way towards becoming an Antel (it’s a Bangla word… so if you don’t know the language… it means, “Overexcited intellectual youths who has little idea of what most of his peers are like, doesn’t give a damn about movies, music, sports and perpetually broods upon the sorry state of affairs in the nation and the whole world and chalk out plans {mostly without intentions of implementation}to reform the society, religion and culture of present times”). Well, if I continue with such exhaustive definitions, I’ll surely ace my exams! Anyways, without any ado, let’s come to the point! I feared, about a couple of days ago… while reading some of my poems (synonym- garbage!)… that I might just be on the perilous and self-destructive journey towards becoming an Antel. Now, you might ask me- What’s the harm to be an atel??? I’ll tell you what!

It’s not that I’m stereotyping Antels or anything! I’m not doing that, simply coz I have a lot of friends who are Antels, or half-Antels or on their way towards becoming immensely successful Antels. And to be on the safe side, if you are a friend of mine and reading this, I’M NOT TALKING ABOUT YOU! If you thought I’m talking about you… all I have to say is “GUILT-CONSCIOUS!!!” Anyways, the reason I’d hate to become an antel is that I’m a really fun-loving guy! I like to hang out with my pals, listen to Bhool Bhoolaiya tracks when I want to feel groovy, watch a totally trash movie like Scary Movie 3 or Dhoom when I wanna have some plain fun… I’m him! And becoming an antel would (necessarily) take away so many things away from life: buddies, stupid movies, hippy music, late-night soccer…

If you think I’m going loco or something, I don’ blame ya. But trust me, the feeling I had was totally scary… even scarier than the scariest of Japanese flicks. I’m going insane, I feared… thanks to those scary poems I end up writing! I really have no idea what gets into me when I start writing poems… I try my hands at something plain and simple and end up writing something so mind-boggling and downright frustrating that if someone reads them at first, they might think the poet is a drug-addict who’s totally frustrated for some reason or the other and might be on the verge of suicide or something! Well, those were my feelings and trust me, I got scared! I know there’re reasons for me to be upset and start writing upsetting verses… but they’re reasons totally different and I’m not including those types of “poems” in the antel category, if you know what I mean! If you think it’s the age old “Maiden Affair” I’m talking about… I can’t contradict you!

I really don’t think being intellectual has to mean that you have to be an antel. Anyone can be an intellectual, if you ask me. You don’t even have to be good in your studies for that! All you have to do is keep your eyes open, take in the world and try to assess (rationally) what is right and what is wrong… what is fair and what is not… (For a person like me who loves to make stupid jokes) what is funny and what is dumb…

I came across the college magazines of various leading colleges of my city and almost every poem and article and even stories that I came across sounded like they were authored by really frustrated men (and women). I used to scratch my heads after reading them (First of all, I had to read them at least a couple of times to get their real meaning… no offense, but if they had any. Or it could be that I’m very dumb. Can be either way!) and say to myself, “One thing’s for sure… I’m not gonna end up like them!” But I feared that the dreaded phrase “Man proposes God disposes” came true when I…

Well, finally, I have posted a couple of more poems in my blog along with this article… and one of them again gave me the warning signals when I read it! But I guess, I’m too fond of my garbage to dispose of it… trust me, I’m an environment-friendly person… but I don’t think recycling would be any use here!
Signing Off,
Still standing, and walking tall,
-Jagannath (Jesse)

No comments: