Monday, November 17, 2008

FALLING FOR A NAME!

I’ve never been to North Bengal… I mean anywhere near Jalpaiguri. So the faint idea I’ve got about that place happen to be from those scary newspaper articles calling the place a terrorist hub and other such prestigious things! But maybe I’m not being truthful… the real picture of that place that’s in my mind is copyrighted by a certain Mr. Samaresh Majumdar. I’m a big fan of his novels involving the simple sleuth Arjun, who’s based in Jalpaiguri and which turns out to be, quite often, the center of his sleuthing activities as well.

It was in one of these novels that I came across the name Teesta, it’s the name of the river, of course! Nothing imposing or anything… in fact, Teesta is a bit on the bad side of fate to be frank. It is not a daunting perennial river, apparently, and is only at its mightiest during the monsoon. So the descriptions I found in those novels were pretty discouraging, I guess.

But for some reason, I took to that name… Teesta! Maybe it’s so special because of its alliterative value, but I really don’t care for what reason, it was one of the few times in my life that I was actually in love with a name!! I mean, I’ve been in love with movies, books, songs… girls… but seldom with a name! And this time, it was so!

And then there was this Bhoomi song called ‘Teesta pare’ (On the shore of the Teesta) which happens to be the most soothing, soulful song in all of music! Everytime I listen to that track, late at night when I’m cozily nestled alone since sleep is like a treacherous lover spending the night with everyone else but me, I’m transported to a dream place… amidst the notes of the river splashing by… and the enchanting music accompanying the simple lyrics…

Fact of the matter is, I don’t want to go to Jalpaiguri… or see Teesta for that matter! Coz I know it would miserably fail to live up to my hideous expectations and maybe… I’d fall out of love! Nor would I, contrary to what many might think, like to meet a person who’s called Teesta. She could be a nice person all right… but what if she isn’t? And besides, in this world of budding economists, who assume anything and everything without pausing to give a second thought, that person might assume (if she ever comes across this article) that I’m in love with her, whereas its just her name I fancy!

Its like when you love a singer, its only his/her voice you’re in love with. When you love someone, it isn’t necessary that you have to love his/her name as well! If you do, you’re lucky! If you don’t, you’re just not exceptional!

Maybe, if she doesn’t mind, and even if she turns out to be the possessor of the second-most beautiful name in the world, I’d call my love this name once… only once! She won’t mind, I guess! 

Signing Off,

                                                                                                -Jagannath (Jesse)

No comments: